Medication for fibromyalgia pain relief
Lyrica (pregabalin) is an FDA-approved medication for the relief of fibromyalgia pain. Fibromyalgia is a chronic disorder that causes long-term muscle pain and worldwide tenderness, trouble sleeping, and overwhelming fatigue. This medication is not an antidepressant. The drug has been used for a long time to reduce nerve pain in patients with shingles and diabetic neuropathy. It is also used to treat partial seizures.
How does Lyrica work to relieve fibromyalgia pain? Fibromyalgia pain is thought to be caused by nerve-related changes that cause nerve cells to activate too many signals. It makes a person overly sensitive to stimuli that are usually not painful. Scientists aren’t quite sure how Lyrica improves symptoms and relieves pain caused by fibromyalgia. However, lab studies suggest that Lyrica helps reduce the number of nerve signals and therefore calm down overly sensitive nerve cells. It seems to relieve pain in fibromyalgia patients.
How is Lyrica taken to relieve fibromyalgia pain? Lyrica is used in the treatment of fibromyalgia in capsule form which is usually taken in divided doses twice a day. Dosages range from 150 milligrams to 450 milligrams per day. Your doctor will determine the best dose for you. If you forget to take a capsule, you should take it as soon as possible, unless you are close to the time when you are supposed to take the next one. Never take two or more at the same time. You should not stop taking this medicine suddenly. This can cause headaches, upset stomach, diarrhea, and trouble sleeping. If you want or need to stop taking this medicine, your doctor will tell you how to gradually reduce your dose over time.
Benefits of Lyrica: Lyrica can quickly reduce pain and relieve fibromyalgia-related pain, improve sleep, and help some people with fibromyalgia function better and resume daily activities. In studies, some patients reported significantly less pain after taking Lyrica for just one week. Lyrica, however, may not help everyone with fibromyalgia.
Before taking Lyrica for fibromyalgia pain relief: Always make sure your doctor knows about all other medications you are taking. This includes over-the-counter medications, herbs, and supplements. Some prescription drugs can interact with Lyrica and cause dangerous side effects. These drugs include:
1. medicines for high blood pressure called ACE inhibitors; Taking Lyrica with these medications increases the risk of swelling and hives.
2. Diabetes medications Avandia (rosiglitazone) or Actos (pioglitazone); If you take these drugs with this medicine, your risk of swelling or weight gain may be increased.
3. Narcotic pain relievers (such as oxycodone), drugs for anxiety (such as lorazepam) and tranquilizers; Combining these drugs with this medication increases the risk of dizziness and drowsiness.
4. Sleep medications make you sleepy and Lyrica can cause drowsiness. Combining the two can be dangerous.
Do not drink alcohol while at Lyrica. This could increase Lyrica’s side effects and cause dangerous drowsiness.
Also tell your doctor if you have any other medical conditions, including:
1. Bleeding disorders or low platelet count.
2. heart problems
3. Kidney problems or if you are receiving kidney dialysis (a lower dose of Lyrica is needed if you have kidney problems)